26 October 2008

Prawns in Red (Hot) Sauce

I'm blogging everyday now, even if it is just to bore you with what I made for dinner last night. Haha!

This super-easy to cook & delicious dish is from the first recipe book I bought in life, back in 1983 and still a favorite ...

Spring Onions, Garlic, Ginger Powder, Yellow (very spicy) Pepper

Tomato Paste & Mixture of Stock, Rice Wine, Soy Sauce, Sugar

Prawns seasoned with Salt & Pepper

Deliciously Spicy!

25-year old recipe book still in its original plastic cover!

A Malaysian best-seller, the book is a compilation of over 500 recipes of Malay, Chinese, Indian, Nyonya & Euraisian home-cooked family favorites, sophisticated restaurant dishes and delicious concoctions of the roadside hawker stalls. The recipes are well presented in very simple language and not fussy with details to a fault, in the truest sense. A good number of them would list ingredients that are not mentioned in the method section or vice versa, use extra ingredients in the cooking procedure. Poor editing, me thinks. I have learned to study each recipe in detail before attempting it.


UPDATE : Full recipe as requested by Farina ...

Ingredients
500g large raw prawns
2 tbsps oil
4 stalks spring onions - shredded
3 cloves garlic - crushed
4 cm piece ginger - chopped
1 fresh red chilli - chopped
3 tsps Chinese rice wine
1 tbsp thin soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
Salt & pepper to taste
1/2 tbsp tomato puree
4 tbsps chicken stock
1 tsp cornflour

Method
1. Snip off legs of prawns, leaving shell intact. Wash well, drain and set aside.
2. Heat oil and fry garlic, ginger and chilli for one minute.
3. Add prawns and fry for 5 minutes, turning occasionally so they cook evenly.
4. Pour in rice wine and soy sauce. Add sugar, salt and pepper. Stir gently.
5. Add the tomato puree and stir again.
6. Thicken sauce with cornflour blended with a little water and stir on medium heat.
7. Dish out prawns and pour sauce over.
8. Serve garnished with spring onions.
Serves 4-6.

No mention of stock in recipe. See what I mean by poor editing?

27 comments:

Ms eNVy said...

oh tht looks really yummy! .. My mom has the same book too! .. and under no circumstances I'm allowed to take it away from her :)

looking forward to you blogging everyday . I have yet to achieve tht ability! :D

ICook4Fun said...

Someone is back!! Really miss reading your blog :) I have the same cooking book too. Bought that from Chip Lee years ago. I have to remember to bring it here when I go back home.

Rita Ho said...

Hi Norma ... Smart woman, your mom. :)

I am unlikely to continue blogging daily but will try to be more regular.

BTW, David was chuckling away at your blog this morning. Something about toilet?? LOL!

Rita Ho said...

Thank you, Gert. I have compiled a long list of topics while not blogging. Haha!

Was it you who told me Chip Lee is now a huge store? I have to take a tour of Kajang on my next trip home, see more changes.

Salt N Turmeric said...

That looks very interesting. Bagilah the how to so i can try make them as well. ;)

Rita Ho said...

I've updated with full recipe, Farina, word for word from the book. :)

Beachlover said...

Rita;
it's nice that you're back.WCB!.Prawn is my favourite dish! hehehe! your prawn in red sauce look really good especially the color!
how come I didn't see this recipe book at Popular Book store?.the last time I was there I sapu almost all cooking book ,I think I paid RM 280 for book!

Salt N Turmeric said...

Thanks for the recipe Rita. I guess chicken stock tu tak payah letak kot? takpe takpe. Nanti i buat w/o it and see how it turns out. ;)

Rita Ho said...

Hi Lesley ... I like prawns quite a bit but seldom cook it with shells intact as David finds it tricky to peel. I love sucking on them though and this recipe was certainly tasty to do so. :)

I don't know if the book is still in book stores. I bought it at MPH in 1983! Popular caters more for students, so probably won't carry more cookery books? If you cannot find a traditional recipe, let me know and I'll look for you. :)

Rita Ho said...

Oh no, I think you should add the stock, Farina. Otherwise, it may be too dry. I mixed it with the other liquid ingredients. :)

Zue Murphy said...

Rita, it is good to see you are back in action. I miss you la. I have been worried about you and always ask gert for your update. This is a grand entrance with prawn as our meal. Your food look great.keep it coming.

Kathie said...

That looks delicious. My husband would love it. Thanks for sharing. Blessings from Costa Rica

mº¿ºsh, brecht and nora said...

Oh wow u r back to blogging again Rita! = ) I can understand about your predicament, u know appliances breaking down is like cancer, lepas satu, satu... it doesnt stop sometimes! Anyways, i am glad u spelled out the recipe, i shall brave it some day. Welcome back, missed u, hugs xxx

Big Boys Oven said...

wow I do want to put my finger into our cooking, hopefully one day as they look so delicious just like you had describe!

Puteri said...

Prawns look great! Rewrite the recipe and take away whatever that can cause any confusion! I want to try this dish!

ruby ahmad said...

Hi Rita,

Woo...so best! Ha ha..I can't find the right words to describe those yummy prawns. Only if you could DHL some to me!

Hey, really, you're gonna blog daily. Ok why not, if you have the zest & energy. Good on ya!

Anonymous said...

hi! i had the same book while i was studying in the states!

Rita Ho said...

Many apologies to Zue, Kathie, Mush, BBO, Puteri, Ruby and Anonymous! I'm late back here, very late and without good reason. Blush-blush.

On to one on one .... :)

Rita Ho said...

Thank you for caring, Zue. I want to say I miss you too but that would be lying because I have been having fun lurking at your blog silently. :)

I'll make some noise on my next visit. Meanwhile, happy Sunday!

Rita Ho said...

Kathie ... Have you cooked the prawns for your husband??

All the best from Seattle too, especially if you like rain. It has been pouring non-stop for over a week and some places are on flood alert. :(

Rita Ho said...

Mush ... Thanks for the nice words. This recipe was senang to cook for me so with your expertise, it would be a breeze! The difficult part was sucking the juices out of the shells!

BTW, CONGRATS on the purchase of your house! That was the last post I read when I was visiting. I'll check back on the new ones tomorrow. :)

Rita Ho said...

Thank you, BBO - Sidney and Sunny! I am positive you can cook this dish blindfolded and it would look and be much more delish!

Enjoy the week ahead! Must be quite busy these days baking Xmas cookies and taking orders for cakes??

Rita Ho said...

Puteri, where got fun if you don't have to decipher a recipe?? LOL!

I combined the stock with the rice wine, soy sauce and sugar.

You, I am sure, also can cook this blindfolded. :)

Rita Ho said...

Hey Ruby! I would gladly cook these for you but only after you explain convincingly why you would want my boleh-jadi prawns when you live in the city famous for delicious seafood. Haha ... some more, a little bird already told me what you can do in the kitchen. :)

Enjoy your week ahead and ignore the mushrooming hypocrites!

Rita Ho said...

Anonymous ... had the book? What happened it? It is limited edition and a classic, you know. :)

Bee Ean said...

Rita,

I just have one problem with this recipe, hubby doesn't like to eat prawns with the shell on it.

Rita Ho said...

David is the same way, Bee Ean but he puts up with it because I like it. Haha ... plus, I am the cook!

I doubt the taste differs much if the prawns are shelled. The sauce is what makes the dish, I think?