17 February 2009

Presents or Gift Cards?

Presents for me, simply because I tend to lose track of gift cards and miss their expiry dates. I didn't even know that plastic cash is universally tied to a validity period until forfeiture of an airline ticket to anywhere in the US, a full-body massage and music download. Consumers have to wonder at the logic behind it that favors retailers? I mean, do presents purchased in lieu of gift cards expire?

And who studies the fine print that cleverly hides the term at the back of each card? While I didn't have a case against written legality in the nullified cards, I am prepared to debate with the folks at Barnes & Noble for this antique ...

... one of David's Christmas presents in 1997!

Barnes & Noble has since adopted the trendy policy of progressively deducting the value of their gift cards but there is no wording of it on this certificate. They probably didn't expect procrastinators to be this good! Chances are they won't honor the certificate but it will be interesting to hear what they say.

Meanwhile, I'd better dine at Wild Ginger and shop at Land's End this week. The cards were issued in May 2005 and Dec 2006. I know!

7 comments:

Nightwing said...

wow 1997....well like u say..no mentioned of expiry date...who knows may be they will honour it?

Salt N Turmeric said...

Rita, cash is better my friend. No expiration whatsoever and you get to buy whatever you wishes. My visa gift card pun pernah dah expired 30% of the value before i get to use it. Rugi besar. lol.

louis said...

Given the current uncertainty about the world's financial systems, Salt N Tumeric, one might have some doubt about cash (at least in the bank) not having an expiration date after all :)

Salt N Turmeric said...

Louis, maybe keeping the money under the pillow is the best way after all. lol.

Rita Ho said...

Hi Nightwing ... late to reply comments here, lagi late to check my gift card. Sigh.

Thanks for dropping by and I trust you are enjoying married life. :)

Rita Ho said...

Louis is right, Farina. Cash value is depreciating fast these days and I have nothing to keep under the pillow. LOL!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.